Why Real Estate Investment?
The Saga Of An Ideal Real Estate Agent
Behind the success of a man is a woman, and behind the success
of a real estate business is an ideal agent. Indeed, it's the
human resource that is considered to be the most important
factor for real estate business to succeed.
Why should you invest in real estate? Well, investing in real estate for profit is one of the most popular approaches to generating additional income in the United States today. In fact, if you pay attention to recent press you will have seen numerous reports about the real estate investment craze that seems to be sweeping the Nation.
When done carefully and intelligently, real estate can yield fantastic benefits that can not be achieved through any other type of investment. Here are just a few examples of why real estate investing can be such a powerful wealth generator.
1. Real Estate Markets Are Slow to React - Although real estate, like everything else, has ups and downs, it is generally a lot slower to react than the stock market. For example, you won’t get up in the morning and discover that your real estate investment is worth ten or twenty percent less than it was yesterday.
2. Leverage. You can borrow money to buy real estate, whereas, generally you can not borrow money to buy stocks. You can control a large dollar value of real estate with a small amount of your own money by using loans and mortgages. The stock market, by law, limits the amount of leverage (margin) you can use to buy stock. There are no such limits with real estate.
3. You Can Purchase Real Estate For Less Than Its Market Value. In many cases you can purchase a property for as low as 60 to 70 percent of the market value. When buying stocks, you may be able to find a stock that is considered “under valued” but generally that’s tough to do.
4. Real Estate Offers A Tremendous Amount Of Tax Advantages Through Depreciation. Real estate basically has two values, the land and the building(s) on the land. For example, if a property is valued at $250,000 and the assessed value of
How To Find A Great Real Estate Agent
The first step in the process of selling your home is deciding to list it for sale. If you choose to list your home with a real estate agent, you want to find someone who will work with you to get the best price for your house, and take care of all...
the land is $75,000, the building would be worth $175,000.
The government allows real estate investors to depreciate the value of the building in equal parts over its “useful life” which is defined as 27.5 years. So for example, based on the $175,000 building value above, the annual depreciation value would be $6,363.63 ($175,000 divided by 27.5). This means that for tax purposes, the investor would be able to reduce his/her annual income by $6,363.63!
Many people find the notion of depreciation to be confusing since it’s not really a loss of money. I recommend you check with a qualified tax professional for more details and how this can benefit you.
5. Real Estate Markets Are Insulated Local Markets. For instance, when the stock market falls, it takes down just about everybody and everything involved with it. When home values drop in one city such as New York, generally it does not affect property values in other cities like Boston or Chicago. To protect yourself, you can have a “geographically diversified” portfolio of real estate investments to hedge against these types events.
6. You The Investor Can Control The Value. Another aspect of real estate investment is that unlike any other investment, this investment is controlled by the investor. For example, as an investor, you can increase the value of your investment property by making some modifications to the property such as adding a garage or replacing the carpet, etc. With stocks or any other investment, the investor can’t do anything to increase the value of the investment.
7. The Efficient Market Hypothesis (EMH). When a market has prices that always "fully reflect" available information, it is called "efficient”. The stock market for example is considered by most to be an efficient market. When you
Real Estate Search Tips
Using the Internet as a tool for finding real estate for sale
and/or a real estate agent can be a rewarding technique or a
frustrating experience. There are hundreds of thousands of real
estate agents and brokers who have websites and often...
call your broker to purchase or sell a stock, you can be sure of one thing – the price you bought or sold the stock for was indeed the “correct” price for that stock on that day and at that time. Why? Because the existing price for the stock will already incorporate and reflect all relevant available information about the company such as earnings, and other metrics.
With real estate, the market is very inefficient. Unlike the stock market, with real estate, the “correct” price discovery mechanism is left to each buyer and seller to figure out on their own. There is the almost always uncertainty as to whether the price offered by the seller is too high or too low. Moreover, there is typically little to no help available from analysts and research agencies (like when dealing with stocks) in this respect. This inefficiency is the very reason why real estate offers such a great investment opportunity to be smart and win! But it requires experience and a sharp eye for good deals and great negotiation skill. This expertise can be developed.
If done correctly, real estate is probably one of the smartest investments you could ever make. Hopefully this short rambling has provided you with a fresh perspective of the many benefits of real estate investing. So be smart, continue to learn and above all don't wait for some magic moment, just get started.
To Your Success!
About The Author
Rik Foote is the President & CEO of The Dorian Group, Inc. Dorian is a software company that develops affordable software applications designed to help beginners get off to a realistic and practical start as real estate investors. To learn more about Dorian’s products and services visit www.reiscouts.com.
REAL ESTATE ARTICLES
Investing In Real Estate How Do I Get Rich |
How Much Is Your Real Estate Worth |
Equity Discount Real Estate Investing |
How To Find a Real Estate Agent |
Pop Goes The Real Estate Bubble Myth |
Estate Foreclosure Profits |
Bonds Real Estate |
In Leveraged Real Estate |
Estate Investing Advice |
Estate Investing Strategy |
Real Estate Asset |
Estate Investment Clubs |
Estate Pre Construction Investment
Estate Investment Advice |
Estate Investing Benefits |
About Real Estate Investing