"Look to your health; and if you have it, praise God, and value it next to a
good conscience; for health is the second blessing that we mortals are capable of; a
blessing that money cannot buy"
In the world today, global poverty remains a huge problem and with poverty comes disease and death.
The problems facing a huge segment of the world's population can be seen in the simple and horrifying facts below:
1. Half the world, around four billion people, live on less than two dollars a day and Over 1 billion people, 1 in 6 people around the world-live in extreme poverty, defined as living on less than $1 a day.
2. The Gross Domestic Product of the poorest 50 nations (25% of the world's total countries) is less than the wealth of the world's three richest combined.
3. A billion people entered the new millennium unable to read or write properly
4. Less than one per cent of what the world spends every year on military equipment is all that is needed to put every child worldwide into school.
5. Around 1 billion children live in poverty (around of half the children in the world). Around 650 million live without adequate shelter and 400 million have no access to clean water.
6. Each year, more than 8 million people around the world die because they are too poor to stay alive and more than 800 million go hungry each day.
These problems are immense but more people worldwide are concerned and want to help. Don't think you cant you, make a difference.
The more of us that help in the fight against global poverty and disease the better place our world will be.
Here you will discover the problems of global health and poverty and how you can help.
disasters | Action